While offset printed books are certainly not going away, many publishers and book printers are realizing there are valuable benefits from incorporating digital book production into their businesses. As John Edwards, President and CEO of Edwards Brothers Malloy said in a recent webinar presented by Printing Impressions and Book Business entitled On-Demand is in Demand for Books, “As printers, we need to do more with less and recognize that one size does NOT fit all.”
What are those benefits?
- Electronic collation — Printing the book in any page order that suits the production process allows for the in-line creation of book blocks that are ready for binding.
- Just-in-time manufacturing — Publishers can fill their supply chain as needed, minimizing inventory costs and the risks of unsold books.
- Workflow automation — One operator can handle tasks that are typically the responsibility of multiple operators in an offset environment, and there is no need for platemaking.
- New revenue opportunities — Short-run reprints, specialty publishing, customized textbooks, test marketing, and back list or previously out-of-print titles become profitable.
- Interactive content — Leveraging new technologies like Augmented Reality, QR codes, and Near-Field Communications tags engages readers through interactivity and enhances the readers’ experience plus opens new revenue and distribution opportunities.
These topics and more are discussed in a booklet we think you’ll find enlightening: BEHIND THE DIGITAL SHIFT IN BOOK PRINTING — YOUR GUIDE FOR LEVERAGING NEW TECHNOLOGIES AFFECTING BOOK PRINTERS AND PUBLISHERS. It explores the changing dynamics in the book printing market, emerging technologies, and how production inkjet technology for book printers has already had a profound business impact for adopters.
Canon Solutions America offers high-speed inkjet printing solutions that enable book printers and publishers to adapt to industry changes and become more successful in the book market. If you’re interested, we'd be pleased to discuss how we could help you create new opportunities to grow sales, revenues, and profits.